- Latin name: Ocimum basilicum
- Plant type: herb
- Lifecycle: annual
- Sun exposure: full sun
- Soil type: Loamy
- Soil pH: neutral
- Sow indoors: 6-8 weeks before the last frost
- Sow depth: 1/4″
- Sow spread: 10-14″
- Seedling temp: ~70° F
- Water: 1x/ week
- Days to the first sprout: 7-14 days
- At first sight of sprouts: remove lid for proper air circulation
- Sunlight / UV light exposure: 6-8 hours / 12-16 hours
- Water: 2x/ week (from the bottom where the roots are)
- Air circulation: place a small fan for a slight sway a few hours a day (this will allow the base of the seedlings to grow strong and reduce the possibility of mold growth)
- Days to maturity: 60-90 days
- Height: 12-18″
- Fertilizer: after 3-4 weeks, (use a starter solution or at 1/2 strength for houseplant)
- Transplant: after at least 3 pairs of leaves
- Pot size: 4-6″ pot
- 1st Pruning: 6″ high, 5-6 leaves
- Continuous pruning: cut new stems at 4″ in length, or when the plant has 6-8 new leaves
- Flowering: pinch the center stem after 6-8 weeks (or cut off the flowers)
- place on a damp paper towel and Tupperware until use (do not let it sit more than a day)
- dry whole springs in an air-tight container, and place in the freezer
- Basil, T. (2018). Basil Propagation: How To Propagate Basil. [online] Gardening Know How. Available at: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/basil/propagating-basil.htm [Accessed 22 Mar. 2018].
- Burpee.com. (2018). Sweet Basil Seeds and Plants, Growing Herb Gardens at Burpee.com. [online] Available at: https://www.burpee.com/herbs/basil/basil-sweet-prod000460.html [Accessed 22 Mar. 2018].
- Old Farmer’s Almanac. (2018). Basil. [online] Available at: https://www.almanac.com/plant/basil [Accessed 22 Mar. 2018].
- Plants, H. (2018). Growing Basil – How To Grow Basil Plants In Your Garden. [online] Gardening Know How. Available at: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/basil/how-to-grow-basil-plants.htm [Accessed 22 Mar. 2018].
- The Culinary Herb Garden. (2018). How to Grow Basil from Seed Indoors. [online] Available at: http://howtoculinaryherbgarden.com/grow-basil-from-seed-indoors/ [Accessed 22 Mar. 2018].